Four little Emmoreys

Four little Emmoreys

Friday, January 16, 2009

Elliot Stephen Emmorey-- the newest member of my family

Elliot Stephen Emmorey joined our family Wednesday, January 14 at 10:39 PM... here is the story...

Wednesday morning I woke up and laid in bed, thinking about how I was feeling. I made up my mind that today wasn't the day my son would be born. I started to get out of bed and could hardly walk... the amount of pain and pressure on my pelvis was unbearable...

I got ready for my doctors appointment, knowing and getting my mind ready for him to tell me I had another week. I was setting my expectations very low so to not be disappointed. I made Randy go with me in case my attitude got the best of me and I started to cry. Well, after being checked, the doctor said there was no change, but that the way the babies head was pushing down, he was not going to get any lower until I started contractions and labor started.

He gave me options. Option 1... wait a week to see if things happened on their own. (Not what I wanted) Option 1... Help me get started and see if we could have the baby a little sooner. (I really liked that option) So he asked what date worked for me and I said, today was fine (with a big smile) He told me to go home and pack my bag and get ready to have a baby.

I was already packed, so we just had a few things to take care of at home before heading to the hospital.

Here is the timeline of the rest of the day:

11:30-- arrived at he hospital, the one time I wanted a wheelchair to get upstairs they didn't offer it... I could hardly walk and was taking little bitty steps. The pressure was so intense.

1:00-- Dr. Bremer inserted cervadil to soften my cervix and hopefully get things moving along. I had to lay in bed for a few hours... very boring!

4:00-- the nurse came in to start me on pitocen... I didn't want to have it, but thought if it would help get my little guy to me sooner, then why not!

4:45-- got checked, only 2 cm dilated. The nurse said there was a chance that if things didnt happen they would stop me and re-start things the next morning... didn't like that option either.

6:45-- Dr came back, didn't check me but said he would be back later to check on me

7:30-- upped the dosage of Pitocen making the contractions I was already having more intense and more regular on a 2-3 minute basis... ouch

8:00-- asked for some drugs... feeling every bit of every contraction... every 2 minutes (ouch again)

8:00-9:15-- laid in bed "watching" american idol even though I was so out of it I hardly remember anything... but I would wake for a contraction... then fall back asleep...I thought they were slowing down, but little did I realize they were speeding up and my body was definately moving towards having a baby.

9:30-9:40-- got up and walked the halls... thought that during my contractions my legs were starting to shake and thought I should lay back down...

9:45-- nurse checked me and was 7 cm dialated... woohoo... now thats what I'm talking about.

10:00-- nurse came back and checked me again and was 8.5 cm dilated (the goal is 10 by the way)

thats when she called the doctor.... he better hurry... I was telling the nurses I wanted to push and I was going to push. They kept telling me not yet. well, thats easy for them to say, they werent in my shoes at the moment...

10:20-- Dr showed up and the first thing I said was, I"M GOING TO PUSH.. he looked at me and said not yet. I was tired of hearing that...

The next 19 minutes are a blur... but at one point, dr said, next contraction breath, the next one after that push... well... I think I skipped the breathing one and started pushing. They didn't even have time to break my water, Elliot took care of that one.

Two pushes later Elliot Stephen came into our lives. They weighed him and yelled it out, I couldn't believe it.

9 pounds 6.8 ounces.... 21 inches. That would be why I couldn't walk and was miserable for the weeks leading up to the delivery, he was HUGE!

In just under 3 hours I went from hardly progressing to active labor to holding my son. What a wonderful blessing how fast it was. Yes, it hurt, but it was worth it. Elliot is amazing and he is eating and just perfect.

He is nursing all the time (ouch again) and he is sleeping so great. He is laying next to me right now and I couldn't be more in love with a tiny person I just met. Even though he has been a part of me for the past 10 months, I feel like I am meeting him for the first time and at the same time I can't remember what life was like before him.

Sophia is great with him, she kisses him and points out what parts he has on his face. When Randy was changing his diaper today, we forgot we had a boy and boys sometimes spray when they go pee... well.... Sophia started crying when we didn't cover him up. It was funny/cute... oh it made me almost pee... not hard especially after having a baby. It was only the first of what I think will be many times like that : )

So thats my story. He is perfect and I thank God for him every day (both days he has been with me) I can't believe God gave me such a wonderful little boy. I look forward to seeing him grow into a young man, hopefully one that has a heart for God!

No comments: